Today at PAX South Arenanet announced the Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns expansion.
I’m in agreement with the video. I WANT THIS NOW!
Here are my notes from the announcement at PAX South.
- No new gear tiers
- Level 80 will stay the max level
- A new mastery system for account based PvE progression. Mastery examples include hang gliding, zone specific combat abilities, and collection/crafting/building (precursor quests).
- Class specializations for character progression. Specializations open up new weapons, new heal skills, new elites, new utilities, and new class mechanics. For example, a ranger can spec to be a druid and unlock the staff. Necros will also get access to the great sword through a spec. From analysis of the trailer it looks like Mesmer will get a shield and engineers will get a hammer as well.
- A new heavy class: the Revenant. Channel and control the powers of the mists through “legends” of the mist. Legend examples include King Jalis and Mallyx. The announcement made it sound like they work like kits and will change skills depending on who you’re channeling.
- WvW changes include a new borderlands maps. They mentioned it was going into the borderland map rotation so maybe we’ll get rotating maps!
- WvW core changes to reward holding objectives.
- Stronghold PvP game mode will introduce the GW2 version of GW1 GvG including guild teams and guild leaderboards.
- New precursors and legendary weapons.
- Guild halls